Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it.

Saturday, August 25, 2012

A Kindergarten Overview

Tate's first week of school came and went and he had a blast!  Each day Dax and I picked him up, he had a big grin on his face as he got into the car.  He did say on Tuesday, as I was asking him what he'd done today, that 'yesterday was the longest day of my life. But today went by faster.'  He's so sweet!  His teacher is Mrs. Lisle and she is most wonderful.  I'm excited for what the year holds!  I've signed up on all kinds of lists...I was actually thinking the other day I wished I'd written down what all I put my name to!  Ha!  PTA, homeroom, teacher luncheon, fall festival....  :-\  That's ok though, Dax and I will be up in the midst and he'll be like a student himself by the end of this year!!  :-D  
Kindergartners at Shaw have P.E. every day for one hour.  Tate has music (aka choir practice per him) on Monday. And library twice a week with art and computer lab once a week.  He LOVED computer lab.  He told Dax he could use his computer when he was at school but he'd have to give it back when he got home because he'd need to do homework.  I knew it would happen but he grew up as soon as he got in the car after the first day!  :-(  mixed emotions from me :-)    His classroom is decorated well organized with lots of fun stations and different areas of interest.  They have a Rainbow behavior chart they use each day.  They begin their day on green, Ready to learn.  From there, the clip gets moved according to their choices.  Up is Excellent Effort, Way to Go! and Super Start Student!  Down :(  is Make Better Choices, Consequence, Parent Contact.  The clip moves during the day so that if it goes down, it can easily go up as the child makes good choices.  Tate was able to share all about this.  He has gone down once (I'm pretty sure I gathered it was not keeping hands to self - shocking) but he moved back up that day and ended on Way to Go!  They also have a bucket.  Each child is encouraged to be a bucket filler instead of a bucket emptier.  Tate explained to be a bucket filler you have to say nice things to people and help them with something.  A bucket emptier calls names or is a bully.   He is very responsive to "rules" and order like this and can pretty much verbatim repeat whatever it is.  I'm pretty certain he'll do well with both of these aspects of class.
School has brought lots of changes.  But we're looking forward to the upcoming year.....and I admittedly am looking forward to Christmas break when my little buddy is home! :-D  ~Sydnee~

No comments: