To fully appreciate this post, it's necessary for you to click this http://animal.discovery.com/tv/call-of-the-wildman/ and at least read a snippet of info about the turtle man!
New Year's Day the discovery channel had a marathon of Call of the Wildman. And of course we watched it. Episode after episode. I have to admit I don't hate the show. It's fairly comical and mostly unbelievable.
Well, the result of watching a day long marathon was the boys pretending to be turtle man! They look like baby militia in their head to toe camo and orange hats. And the fact they were playing turtle man......well, if you haven't watched the link go ahead and do it. Really.
It was pretty cute. They were making a mouse trap - gonna catch em some mice. Had mice food (dirt and broken sticks) so the mice would have food and then they were going to move the mice to another place so they'd have a new home and be safe. (Turtle man relocates his critters he catches...turtles, snakes, raccoon..)
Tate was telling Dax what to say to him. He'd say it in as country gnarly man sounding voice as he could get and tell Dax to call him the Rat catcher. They even came in the house to check and see if "we" had a place for him to stay so he could check the mice home in the morning. He was careful to clarify that he was pretty dirty so he couldn't stay in the house probably. It was some pretty cute stuff! =)
After they played outside and came in and cleaned up they had rest time. I have always rocked the boys for nap time. Sometimes I stay in the chair and take a little nap too or sometimes I watch the Food Network on mute with CC while they sleep. It's not always conducive to productivity, but in less than 8 months our little man Tate will be in kindergarten and so, I will spend nap time with my boys. On this day, I did have a few things I wanted to get done sans my little helpers and so I got up easily and left them to finish their nap. They fuss and squabble sometimes more than my nerves can take but they really are the best of buds!
As I was running in to get my camera to take the above "turtle man" photos, I re-read my reminder to myself. It hangs in the laundry room right beside the door leading into our kitchen. So, if I'm doing laundry, coming in from the garage or retrieving something from the pantry, I see my sign.
"What's really important?"
It's not that my floors are crumbless and stickyless. It's not that all of the laundry is done - clean, folded and put away. It's not that I have organized the closets so that if you want to do a BHG photo shoot in them you can! (ha...I'm working on not being crazy).
The important things are that I sat outside with the boys while they dug in my once off-limits flowerpot and it's lovely dirt, saved each year for moss rose or marigolds! It's playing High-O Cheerio and Tate strategically winning! It's taking picture after picture so that when I need a reminder I can watch my screen saver scroll through the last four years of pictures and I can recall ........
~Sydnee~
1 comment:
Beautifully stated my friend!
Post a Comment